Monday, September 27, 2010

Shareen Vintage

I just read some exciting news about a wonderful woman that I have known for quite some time- Shareen Mitchell. Shareen is the force behind the popular Shareen Vintage stores that are in Los Angeles and New York. If you aren't familiar with her you really should check out her website. She has an amazing eye for vintage clothing that she makes look new, fresh, and up-to-date, and she also creates her own pieces as well. Now she is getting her very own reality series on Discovery's Planet Green channel which will show how she puts everything together!

My Mom, Sisters and I have been shopping with her for years- starting when she just had a booth at Melrose Trading Post. In fact, one of my sisters did some modeling for her and can be seen on her website.


It isn't that we are close friends, we haven't ever been out to lunch, and don't socialize, but once she did an incredible thing for me that had nothing to do with shopping or clothes. Mom and LAG took me to her store for my Birthday and as she was helping me try on a piece, Shareen noticed that I wasn't feeling well. We started talking about how I had been having a health problem for a while, that no doctors had been able to help me, and that I couldn't work because of it. She told me about a woman she used to see and recommended that I contact her.


Like I said, I had been out of work and was thinking that there was no way that I could afford to go to this woman, and as if she was reading my mind, Shareen insisted that she would pay for my initial work up and visit! I couldn't believe it! I really needed something and here she was offering her help, and asking only that I get better.


She really is such a fantastic and generous spirit, and I am so happy things are going well for her. Best wishes to Shareen! I will be watching and supporting, and I hope that some of you will too!


(photo courtesy of The New York Times- Gordon M. Grant)

2 comments:

Lacey in the City said...

YAY for Shareen!!!

Karen said...

You didn't tell me about her show! I can't wait! She has such a talent!!!