Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Birthdays

My Dear Lovlies, it is almost that time of year again- MY BIRTHDAY! I am an absolute Birthday fanatic. This year I have shown incredible restraint by not shouting the Birthday countdown from the rooftops every day for the last month. However, that does not mean that I am not terribly excited, I only didn't want to appear to be too spoiled since I did just have a fabulous wedding and honeymoon only 2 1/2 months ago. It has been so difficult and I think since the Birthday is only 2 (two!) days away. I can now start celebrating.

Birthdays are very special. I never regret, try to hide or overlook (just the thought makes me shudder) my Birthday. I don't look at getting another year older as a bad thing. I think it is GREAT! The older you get the less people try to tell you what to do. The older you get the more you know, understand, and appreciate yourself. The older you get the more fun you can have!

Birthdays also have rules and customs.

1. There is always a countdown

2. The Birthday officially starts at 12:00am. You can never be mad at and should expect people to call with Birthday wishes at Midnight.

3. The Birthday doesn't end at 11:59 pm. It does not end until you go to sleep or (see #4).

4. When you get a card, present, or "Happy Birthday" from someone even if it is not actually yet/still your Birthday- you get to celebrate that whole day as well.

5. Technically, I think it shouldn't be Birthday, but Birthmonth.

6. Calories do not count on the Birthday.

7. There is no guilt on the Birthday.

8. There must be a "Birfday" dance.

9. There must be cake.

10. If you are married or in a relationship, the Birthday must NEVER be overlooked by your partner. That is grounds for some super seriousness! (I am not saying it has to be extravagant, but it sure as heck better be well acknowledged!!)

Number 10 brings me to my Dear Husband, Mr R. He gets the importance of the Birthday. I don't think he ever truely understood until he met me, but luckily the other Lovlies Ladies in my life impressed upon him its signficance in time for my 1st Birthday we shared (his Birthday was our 1st date). I think he was feeling the pressure, but he came through with flying colors! He is really terrific and always does a wonderful job of making me feel special and planning something fantastic. AND it is always a surprise- which I totally love! Last year he took me to Puerta Villarta and the year before that we went to Big Bear. This year he has another surprise trip planned. I never try to figure it out I only ask him what I should pack. I enjoy watching him try to tempt me and the excitement building. I think he gets a kick out of it too.

We are leaving Friday morning for a long weekend. Where do you think he is taking me?!

4 comments:

Nicole said...

VEGAAAAAAS! I don't know, but I think that sounds fun :)

Smiling is Good for Your Teeth said...

I LOVE your birthday rules!! Birthdays are a BIG deal and I am so glad that we have similar beliefs in them ;-)

Karen said...

I know! I know! But Mums the word and me!

Lacey in the City said...

I want to know!!! Beto didn't tell ME! I'm betting on Santa Barbara!